Sunday, April 20, 2014

The unique way of the Holy Spirit

I did something this week that I have never done before.  I actually led 58 men in worship.  Now, if you know me, you are probably laughing at the thought of me singing and leading worship. I am not musically inclined at all, my voice is weak and I'm not sure what compelled me to teach these men in the Dominguez prison the song 10,000 Reasons by Matt Redmond . I don't lead worship.  If I could have brought in my iPhone, I would have just played it for them, but iPhones are not allowed in prison.  Yet it had been on my heart for several weeks to teach the guys this song and on this day I put aside my pride and began with the chorus, Bless The Lord, O my soul, O my soul, worship his holy name, and the guys actually sang with me. 

I was surprised when some joined me in singing and I asked, "you know the song?"  They were saying something about Spanish.  "I don't have it in Spanish", I said. "No", they countered, "we only have it in Spanish".  One of the inmates, a young man named German from Honduras who leads worship occasionally in Spanish, took out a sheet of paper and began to sing it in Spanish.  He was way off the melody.  So I stopped him and said, "lets sing it together in English and you'll learn the melody."  

We had a sweet time of worship as I taught the guys to sing it in English and Spanish.  Afterward, German came up to me and said, "I see how the Holy Spirit is working in here.  I wanted to learn that song but didn't have the melody, only the words.  God provided you to help me learn it".  This was just another simple way that God answers our needs, even in prison, when we devote ourselves to Him and His purposes.  Now I know why I was prompted to do something out of my comfort zone, and in His perfect timing used me, even in my weakness to bless someone else.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Only the Holly Spirit working in you brother. May God keep you fill up with His spirit. God bless you!!!

Created uniquely in God’s image

In the beginning God created mankind in his own image. In the image of God, He created them male and female.  Genesis 12:26 All men and wome...