Friday, May 28, 2010

Eph. 5 Mutual submission

Many sight this passage in verse 21 as one to justify a husbands dominance over the wife. But in the following verses Paul describes how mutual submission works in 3 types of relationships: wives and husbands, parents and children, and slaves and masters. This idea of considering the needs of the other in relationships was world-shattering for its time. Paul takes the unorthodox stance that those who had the traditional power should submit as well as Christ submitted his life for us.
I've found that this principle is really the key to a great marriage. When both husband and wife surrender their own needs for the good of the other, then they are guaranteed a healthy marriage. When one or both live for themselves, the problems begin.
I pray that I can deny myself, pick up my cross and follow Jesus in my marriage and in every area of my life.

Posted via web from John Walter's Life Stream

No comments:

Created uniquely in God’s image

In the beginning God created mankind in his own image. In the image of God, He created them male and female.  Genesis 12:26 All men and wome...